Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Preterm Labor!!

This picture may lead you to believe that little Elizabeth has arrived, but look again and notice that there is no baby!! Last night Dave and I were at our 3rd birth class at Swedish Hospital and an hour into it, I started to have contractions every 5 minutes, then every 3 minutes with increasing intensity. So upon further confirmation from the birth instructor, we decided it would be a good idea to head upstairs to the birthing unit! Fortunately, my doctor was on call and already at the hospital to see another patient who was giving birth! They then hooked me up to some monitors that measured the baby's heart rate and the contraction strength. The nurse was very surprised and said that i was having full blown, strong labor contractions. The doctor and I decided that even though the baby would be fine, it would be best to wait a couple weeks before allowing her to enter the world. So she stuck me with a little Terbutaline and it instantly stopped the process.

So I waved farewell, for now, to my cozy hospital room and I have been doing well ever since! I figure it was a good trial run for the actual big day and it made me think of all the things I still need to get ready. I also got to see how awesome and supportive Dave would be during it all- he's a very good massage therapist.


Currently, I am not on bed rest and am working (easier,shorter shifts). However, if I have any more symptoms I will have to be banned to my bed....lets hope it doesnt come to that.