Saturday, March 28, 2009

DC

Since we were already as far away as New York we decided to travel a few more hours and visit DC for a couple days! DC was truly more amazing than I thought it would be. Even though I have seen pictures of most of the sites, it is so powerful to be there in person. Each and every detail of those memorials and monuments is wrought with symbolism and meaning. We did a walking tour of the outdoor sites, admired all the federal buildings, and visited the Smithsonians.
We saw the motorcade three times! At one point I was literally 10 feet away from the President of the United States. (Granted, he was inside his limo so I couldn't see him.)

The Lincoln Memorial was my favorite!
We went to the Holocaust Museum and when you enter, they give you an ID Card full of information about a real person who lived through the Holocaust. You are supposed to imagine being this person as you walk through. It was kind of eerie when I picked up my ID card and saw her birthdate: It was MY birthday! Quite the coincidence.
She had a very sad life story, and it was so humbling and personal.